Every piece of equipment and material has a specific method for use. Failure to use them how they were specified will result in damages and increased cost of the procedure and the time needed to complete it. Construction is one of the many procedures that demand following specified instructions concerning the equipment and materials used.
One construction material of interest is the sheet piles which are used on structures to reinforce or retain soil. This material is of three types, namely steel, concrete, and vinyl sheet piles. Concrete piles are constructed on-site, while steel and vinyl sheet piles are installed. The method used in installing sheet piles is called the driving method.
However, there are specific tips to note to prevent damaging the sheet piles during sheet pile installation, and this article will highlight them.
Driving Tips for Installing Sheet Piles
The specific driving tips to note when installing sheet piles include:
- Check soil conditions: The data that explains the soil’s conditions are derived through soil testing. This tests different aspects and properties of the soil. Before installation, short piles or drilling are required for soils with a rugged profile.
- Selecting the Vibro-head to use during installation: Specific factors must be considered when choosing the Vibro-head to install sheet piles. Some of these factors include the crane’s size and the weight of the Vibro-head in comparison with the sheet pile’s weight (the head should be heavy enough to produce the needed driving force for driving the sheet piles without causing any damage to it), and the head’s radius.
- Inspect the sheet piles: When working with sheet piles, you want sheet piles that are in excellent condition; thus, inspect the sheet piles for cracks, crumbs, or sweeps. Also, ensure the piles are clear of soil, gravel, and debris.
- Check the pile’s clutch: Sheet piles are in excellent condition when they feature a bolt tack welded over the sheet’s clutch opening. This keeps the piles clean when threading the next pile to be installed.
- Use panel templates: There are specific templates that outline the system and method to use when driving sheet piles. Quality panel templates consist of a system that ensures no damage to the sheet’s clutches and ensures excellent wall construction.
- Check for longitudinal, vertical, and lateral alignments: Do not be in a hurry when installing sheet piles; after each pile installation, check for alignments on every necessary plane. These alignments are easily noticed when the piles are installed in twos and checked against each other.
- Use the correct equipment for each stage of the pile installation: Using the appropriate sheet pile and dewatering hire equipment ensures accuracy while reducing the chances of damage or accidents. For example, a grounded pile lifting clamp is used to lift the pile.
- Use the appropriate method for dense soils: When installing sheet piles in dense soil, the piles are bound to experience some resistance levels. This resistance is remedied by using jetting techniques to drive the pile.
- Take your time: Understand that the process of driving sheet piles needs to be gradually done to avoid errors from arising
The tips highlighted in this article have been provided by a prominent sheet piling company and will ensure that you successfully install sheet piles in any soil with little to no damage, accidents, or errors. Please always ensure to carefully follow them through for the best results.